Unfortunately, we live in one of the busiest metropolitan areas in the world. Recent data estimates that as many as 4.4 million cars travel through New York City every day. If this wasn’t bad enough, the roads are in terrible condition, and the drivers all around us are sometimes rushing, angry, distracted or even drunk or high.
It is very typical these days to see a driver either talking on their phone, or texting, or sending emails while their vehicle is physically in motion. It is not surprising that more than 300 car accidents happen in NYC every single day.
Here is what to do in the event of a car accident:
- If you are hurt and require emergency care, call an ambulance. If your private vehicle is insured with a New York State insurance policy, you have No Fault coverage so you do not need to worry about being stuck with a huge ambulance or emergency room bill. The same is true if you are working and have valid workers compensation coverage through your employer.
- Call the police. They will come to the scene and make a report. If the police refuse to come to the scene, exchange insurance information and get a photo of the other driver’s license, insurance card and registration.
- Call a family member or friend, so they can assist you with the car and can pick you up from the hospital.
- If it is safe to do so, try to get photos of the damage done to all of the cars involved and their positions on the road.
- Take note of any traffic or surveillance cameras in the area.
- Call your insurance company and file a claim with them. If you are injured and require medical assistance, get a No Fault claim number which should be provided to any doctors you are going to see.
- Contact an attorney to discuss your options, and also have them explain to you what paperwork needs to be filed and when. Often after a car accident there are several forms required in order to start an insurance claim, to apply for medical coverage, to get lost wages, etc and most have a deadline by which they need to be filed.
Our attorneys have handled hundreds and hundreds of car accidents cases.
How Can We Help You?
Call us with details about your accident or to book a FREE consultation today!
The written material presented on this website is for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
Areas of Operation
We handle cases in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island, as well as in the greater New York area.
Richmond Hill, NY
Ozone Park, NY
Central Islip, NY
West Babylon, NY
Mastic Beach, NY
Deer Park, NY
Rocky Point, NY